1. One of the most important aspects church
shoppers are looking for are vital, creative, responsible and caring
approaches to including children in the life of the church and
helping to teach values and important lessons in memorable ways.
2. Families whose parents are busy (like most
families in the UU demographic) are looking for ways to spend
meaningful time with their children that will spur them to further
sharing and conversation.
3. Intergenerational worship often provides one of
the only avenues for interaction and integration between older and
younger members of a community.
4. Intergenerational worship works phenomenally
well at introducing / integrating new members into a congregation as
well as providing ways for older, harder to get to know members to
become more accessible and more part of the growing, changing social
life of a community. It can also provide ways for a congregation to
get to know board members in a more engaging, more social way.
5. It is one effective way to help younger members
experience the liturgy of your congregation so that they know what
UU liturgy is when they talk to their friends.
6. It gives the younger members an experience of
seeing what adults do when they worship (something they are very
curious about) and offers an example of reverence and respect for
worship which they can later emulate.
7. Helps provide opportunities for ministers and
other program staff to interact with the younger members in a
8. Effective intergenerational worship is often
one of the most common characteristics shared by our fastest growing
9. Intergenerational Worship provides an
opportunity for young and old alike to enjoy, together, one of the
fundamental elements of all religions – storytelling.
10. Our mandate as religious educators calls us to
create environments where our children have trusting relationships
to the people around them - people of all ages.
11. Our movement strives to help younger members
understand our UU values and articulate them – Learning,
especially for the young, is more effective in experiential settings
and through stories.
12. Being able to worship in the main worship room
in the church – for the whole service - is often an important clue
to our younger members as they figure out what our religion is
13. We need to be providing opportunities for the
younger members to become familiar and understand our liturgy,
values and norms within worship so that when they see other
religious styles they will recognize the differences.
14. Intergenerational Worship can be fun,
memorable and meaningful